Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The First of the Many: Value In Visual Communication

With a wide variety of stimuli out there, a combination of visual and audio communication is needed to get my attention. Like most people my age, I lack the attention span to focus on anything for too long, and me coming from what’s commonly known as the advertisement epicenter, New York City, doesn’t really help either. I mean when you think of it, if I’m constantly being bombarded with ads left and right, there needs to be something to be done to stand out from the rest. Abstract images, or something out of the ordinary in strong bold coloring, combined with distinctive audio is definitely a good means of getting my attention. 

In contrast, sometimes a familiar sight can be just as appealing. I openly admit that I am one of those people that would stop and say to myself “ Hey I’ve seen that!” or dwell on where I have seen said image before. In either case, I’m still thinking on it.

My favorite band, A Day to Remember, had always released albums with cover art that had slight similarities while distinguishing itself from the previous album. From their earliest album And Their Name was Treason to their most recent album Common Courtesy, ADTR had always featured a shot of a male figure from behind as the album centerpiece. It starts with a clean behind shot of a male figure with a blank background, with each new album release, more is added to background, creating a story for that iconic centerpiece. 



Speaking of iconic, Banksy, a well known political graffiti artist, specializes in stencil art graffiti that often juxtaposes contradicting ideas, such as the flower bomber. The male depicted is geared up, as if he was ready to retaliate with violence, yet all he is armed with is a bouquet of flowers. As a media production major, I am touched by the image of a the camera man recording a flower, something that would never happen normally because today’s media is driven to find the most violent sort of news. What also appeals to me about Banksy’s work is the grittiness of his work that reflects the current human condition, sometimes utilizing existing elements such as moss or flooding for environmental related issues.



The more I think on it, street art in of itself, is powerful. When I say street art, I mean something more than a spray and tag.The unique styles tend to show the artist’s character, and often carrying the words the artist wishes to say out loud. Some street art is complicated, others may be more simple but can still carry the same weight in meaning. There are different mediums that can be used such as stencil, stickers, wheat pasting, etc. At times it shows a person’s level of commitment, and tests their ingenuity. Honestly, how many people can say that they have heard of or know what Moss Graffiti is?




Visual communication is definitely a useful form of communication that should not be taken lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment